Labor Govt to introduce Pre-Commitment?

Now that the decisions have been made in Canberra we are anxiously waiting for the results of the agreement the Tasmanian Independent Andrew Wilkie has made about the Gillard govt introducing a pre-commitment scheme for pokies around Australia.  This is one of the main recommendations of the productivity commission to make a binding pre-commitment compulsory on all poker machines in Australia.

A good reason to be in favour of this Labor Govt.

11 Responses to “Labor Govt to introduce Pre-Commitment?”

1. Maria Cooper says:

Let’s hope they do the right thing!

2. anita roleff says:

I am anxiously awaiting such a pre-commitment scheme
    my daughter has a mental illness as well as a gambling addiction
    ready to rip my hair out {or hers]
    anita roleff

3. Gabi Byrne says:

Anita, it would be great if you could write a short story about your daughters problem and what it did to your family. I am happy to publish it on my site. Use a different name if you want. As long as nobody speaks out the government makes out that it is all the gamblers fault and they don’t have to address the insidious nature of the Pokies.
    Gabi Byrne

4. anne cann says:

I myself have a very serious gambling addiction & I stand and cheer when I hear about PreCommitment. It is true that even the worst gambler has moments of clarity and this system would be a back up for those of us that would bet almost anything to win back the losses. I pray that it passes government.

something eles though, there is no need to have them in our community, no-one who has ever lost badly, lost more then they ever wanted to bet would have them there for ANYONE else to lose on.

5. Gary says:

I am also a compulsive pokie gambler. I have been doing it for 26 years. I only recognised that I have a problem about 9 years ago. I have just about tried everything i.e.cognitive therapy, counselling, group sessions, hypnotherapy, and more. Nothing works except abstinence. I even took myself to South Korea to teach English for 3 years. Unfortunately, I was walking through Seoul and I happened to run across 1 of only 2 casinos in Seoul. Three years pay…..gone! I came back to Australia, got my Primary school qualifications (I don’t know how because I was gambling at the same time), and now I am in Melbourne, running away from Brisbane and the Gold Coast, where I was gambling. Yesterday, I went down to the local pub for a counter lunch and the ringing of the pokies reeled me back in again. I have been suicidal, and came close last week when I blew everything on the Gold Coast. I feel like I am running around in circles. I am now thinking of running to Western Australia where there are no pokies, except in the casino. Any ideas????? Gary.

6. Joan Scott says:

I am a youth worker who works within a gambling and harm minimisation team for youth, I am about to deliver a program to address the harms of gambling and prevent problem gambling to youth within the school environment, I don’t think youth or parents/caregivers are aware that gambling is a growth industry and the long term affects it has on them and significant others

7. Night Owl says:

Hi Joan, I am positive that the problem is recognised but like with other harm minimisation strategies it is hard to get funded. I just won a tender to introduce a social connection program in the City of Moreland which addresses the issue of ‘how to fill the gap’ once you stop gambling.
    Happy to discuss options and what is already available in literature and research to help you with your project.

8. Night Owl says:

Hi Gary, I found that the saying: ‘for things to change – you have to change’ and for ‘things to get better – you have to get better’ has a lot of truth in it. I think running away from the ‘gambling beast’ will provide short term relieve but no cure. In my book I talk about 5 strategies that because I practice them on a day by day basis helped be to fight the ‘urge’ to gamble enabled be to re-take control. To recover – is not a magic cure but with work and the desire to beat the monster you will get there one step at a time.
    Gabriela Byrne

9. michael goos says:

It seems to me that the precommitment that the gambler decides is their limit is the amount that they want to or feel comfortable to lose. In effect it is what they think is best for them. All of the opposition to this is masqerading as an attempt to somehow get more from these people, to push tbem or capitilise on their addiction or the fact that they are probably consuming alcohol which inhibits decision making. I have also heard nothing regarding the issue that once people enter their limit do they then feel compelled to reach that limit even if they feel disinterested.

10. Gabi Byrne says:

HI Michael, I think the last point that you made is an interesting one. From personal experience though that never happened to me. That I was willing to stop before I had too. I think that a point that is not discussed that often is what happens when you win big eg win a Jackpot. Does that than increase your limit? For me the biggest advantage with the proposed mandatory precommitment lays in the fact that it will prevent more people from becoming problem gamblers. If you never experience the rush off having to bet more than you can afford because you need to make up for money your lost etc. you won’t get hooked in the first place.

11. Ann Creber says:

Hi Gabi,
    For the past 3 1/2 years I have produced & presented a weekly radio program I call The Good Life. (Radio 3MDR 97.1 FM, streaming 3mdr.com) I review books, interview authors and a wide range of other guests who contribute to “the good life”. I would like to devote a program to the discussion of gambling and would very much like you to participate. It is live to air (3 – 5 p.m. ,every Monday) but of course we could speak by phone. I am planning to “visit” our local Club (Kilsyth Club) over the next couple of weeks to watch the reactions of
    their guests. My daughter is a social worker with Victims of Crime and it her suggestion that I contact you as a significant person in the sad world of gambling. My dad was a compulsive gambler on horse racing, so remember my mother’s experiences in try
    ing to cope with this.

I would be delighted to hear from you, Gabi, and at this stage am planning to do this program early December.

Best regards,
    Ann Creber
    Producer/Presenter of The Good Life on 3MDR
    41-45 Barbers Road
    Kalorama 3766 (Home address)